Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Job Security

If you are reading this, ask yourself this question: Do you believe you have absolute control over whether or not you maintain your employment with your current job? If you answered 'yes' you either:

1. Are completely naive, or

2. Need to send me an application

Back in the day I used to work for a company called Convergys. It wasn't my ideal job, but it paid the bills. I did my job. I did it well. I felt under appreciated, but I soldiered through it. After about 2 years working there I was promoted for the 2nd time. Shortly after I was promoted, the job I just moved from was outsourced to India. About 2 years later, we received notice that our job would also be "consolidated", which consisted of everyone in our location losing our jobs and our workload being moved elsewhere, namely Florida and yes, India.

I already knew Convergys outsourced to India, so this didn't shock me. This story probably didn't shock you either, which I find sad. People losing their jobs not because of performance but because of saving money has become so commonplace that it is accepted as a part of life.

I went to a different company, RxAmerica. I loved it there. I still do. It was a smaller company, about 500 employees. It was a subsidiary of Longs Drugs. I felt appreciated. I didn't feel underpaid, but I felt I was worth more. I asked for a raise. I didn't receive a yes or no right away, but I was given expectations and the promise that my request would be reevaluated. I fulfilled my promises, and so did they. I was granted the raise. I felt that I had hit the jackpot. A company that cared about me. I did not fear that this company would outsource my job. I planned on staying at RxAmerica for a long time.

Recently Longs and all its subsidiaries was purchased by CVS Caremark, a rather large company. My future with RxAmerica is uncertain. It's possible that not much will change and everything will be fine. It's also possible that I could lose my job. I'm handling this better than you think. The only thing that rubs me the wrong way is that once again I'm reminded that no matter what I do to preserve my job, I can still lose it. I hate not having control over that part of my life. What can you do? We all need jobs to support ourselves, but in this world the only thing you can do to preserve your job is be lucky.

God bless the working stiff.

No comments: